POSITION TITLE: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations and/or Vice President/COO
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Executive Director will be responsible for branch leadership and connection to the Y mission and association strategic plan, vision development and goal setting for the branch, board development, and general branch management, including staff management, fiscal management, facilities management, and program management.
Manage the branch in accordance with the policies, procedures and standards established by the Association Board of Directors and the Corporate Offices.
Accountable for annual budget development, monthly budget monitoring and management, forecasting, and achievement of budget established at the beginning of each fiscal year.
Oversee management of branch day-to-day operations including all administrative, risk management, compliance, and facility functions..
Provide leadership to full-time and part-time staff and volunteers, connecting them to the mission, strategic plan and promise of the organization.
Provide leadership and direction to new program development. Continuously update and improve current programs to meet community needs, ensure compliance with association program standards, and attain the highest possible level of program quality.
Provide leadership to and accountability for the branch annual support campaign and other assigned financial development activities of the association.
Manage the recruitment, training, and development of volunteers at program, fundraising and policy leadership levels.
Develop an engaged Board of Managers to ensure a successful operation geared to meeting community needs and commensurate financial support.
Engage in association membership and marketing initiatives as well as create new and innovative approaches to attract and retain membership.
Develop and implement membership strategies resulting in a high level of membership retention.
Develop the strongest possible staff team; set goals and maintain a culture of accountability; evaluate the performance of staff; coach them in areas where improvements are needed and continually strive to improve performance level of staff
Manage the development, use and maintenance of the facility to ensure a bright, clean, and functional environment, meet the expanding needs of the community, improve efficiencies and promote safety..
Build the brand of the YMCA through community awareness campaigns, engagement of community leaders, and active participation in community organizations and events.
The successful candidate must believe in the core values of the organization, be driven by the mission and have the ability to demonstrate in word and action these beliefs in all matters at all times. The candidate should be a mission focused, self-driven leader with experience successfully managing comparable operations, developing and leading staff and volunteers, building relationships, creating community, and making consistently superior high level decisions.
Additional requirements are:
· General Management Experience and Abilities - including thorough knowledge of leadership and management principles, human resource management, financial management, and project management as they relate to non-profit organizations
· Leadership – ability to positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization and to enforce accountability; to serve as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance the Y’s mission and goals; to overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary; excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal and coaching skills, and organizational skills; to foster a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches; to exemplify a “Y-Voice” that demonstrates determination, genuine concern, welcoming attitude, hopefulness and a nurturing spirit
· Relationship Building – ability to build and nurture strategic relationships to enhance support for the Y; to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
· Results – proven track record of exceeding goals; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; ability to problem solve, conduct project management, and use creative resourcefulness
· Organization – ability to set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information, and activities
· Adaptability – ability to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
· Ethical Behavior – ability to understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
Five or more years experience in the operation of a YMCA or in a key position of a non-profit organization
Demonstrated skills in all areas of non-profit management
Demonstrated skills in relationship building and fundraising
YMCA of the USA Team Leader designation
CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED/First Aid Certification from approved agency
Demonstrated computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.